Thursday, December 25, 2014
After sanding down the blocks, paint them, let them dry then apply Mod Podge to the side of the block that you are going to place the paper on. Place the paper on the block while the Mod Podge is wet and make sure that you smooth any bubbles or puckers in the paper. I let mine dry just a bit before putting a top coat of Mod Podge on. Once the top coat is dry then I embellish and glitter. If you want distressed edges make sure you do that before Mod Podging and placing on the block.
This is a side view of the set up. We turned the lights down low and it made it so cozy and quaint.
There was the most darling Christmas skit that just made the whole evening so much more fun.
Thursday, August 7, 2014
*I love the reflection of Emma in this picture as well*
We bought the kids new pillows for their beds. Rather than throw away their old pillows I decided to make them pillow cases for them and these could be their "traveling" pillows. They could take them with us on long drives or "travel" around the house with them from living room to basement to toy/tv room.
For FHE (family home evening) we took the kids to the fabric store and let them pick out their fabric. Ashleigh loves purple, pink and yellow and fell in love with the elephants on her fabric. Emma, who is now 10, loves chevron print and currently loves the colors coral and turquoise. Easton was the easiest he found emergency vehicles right off the bat, complete with a helicopter on it-score! Then Jax, oh my Mister Jax! He was the hardest one. It took him forever to decide because all the fabrics were "babyish" or "little kid". The we rounded a corner and found all kinds of fun Duck Dynasty fabrics. Why did we not go down that isle first? I found a simple pattern, that actually came with Easton's fabrics and in one afternoon I had all four pillow cases whipped out and ready for the kids to use.
We finally found a new dining room table that will fit our family and even extends to fit many more guests for dinner when the occasion calls for it. I was not happy about the table at first because it's not "my style" or even the style I wanted but Jess cannot pass up a "good deal" 8 chairs, table and 4 leaves; all solid oak for $500. He will most likely not be so lucky when he does by me my dining room set that I want. $500 might cover the shipping cost. Anyway along with the cheap price of the table came the promise of refinishing it. So far if you ask my sweet, amazing husband who picked out the color schemes he will tell you he did. And because he does most of the work in refinishing the furniture I let him believe that and even tell others that as well. I know that if I want something done my way or my color, I make him think that he came up with it and then I get what I want. He does ask for my input so I give it. I usually start by showing him pictures on Pinterest or Facebook or Google search. Then I let it be for a few days or weeks. Then when he approaches the subject again it's usually to go with him to "look" at colors. (This is how I got the stain I wanted for the living room table and my small kitchen table and chairs) He usually has a nice color in mind and would be okay, but I steer him towards the one I really want. One of two things happen. Either he picks up the color right then or if he is not ready for the stain or paint, he remembers the color and goes back for it when he is ready. It's so simple and easy to do. As for the oak table, it is still sitting unfinished because of several factors; first it is summer and there are a million things to do, second our summer this year has been a scorcher and being out in the non-attached metal shop/garage when it is over 101 (upto 109) for 9 consecutive days is not going to happen and third, he is the assistant scout master with the 12 & 13 year old boys in our ward soooo... his time has become very limited. I am hopeful once it cools off that he will start on our table (oh and once we have the funds to buy a paint sprayer for the chairs).
Monday, May 5, 2014
Friday, January 10, 2014
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
All we did was sand, paint, then I sanded again for the distressed look and last place the vinyl cut outs onto the blocks. I think they turned out pretty cute! I'm so excited to have added something this year to my Christmas decorations and it even goes along with my nativities. I like to add one new nativity a year to our collection. I am a little behind but I will catch up eventually.